At St Meriadoc CE Infant Academy we believe that Sport and PE lessons can have a positive impact on the health and well-being of our children. We believe that an innovative, varied PE curriculum and extra- curricular opportunities can also have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of the children.
What is the Sports Premium?
The funding for the Sports Premium is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture and Media and Sport and will see money going directly to primary schools to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all of their children. Each school will receive £16,000 plus an additional £10 per pupil. This money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of the funding
Schools must spend the sports funding on improving the provision of PE and Sport but they have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside teachers when teaching PE
- Hiring specialist PE coaches to run clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Competing in competitions and increasing participation in school games
- Providing cover to release teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Buying sports equipment
There are 5 key indicators that schools should expect to see improvement across:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- the profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport
How will we be spending the PE and sports funding and who will benefit?
The governing body of St Meriadoc CE Infant Academy believe that the money must be used so that all children benefit regardless of their ability. We will use some of the funding to enable the children to experience sporting activities that they otherwise might not be able to and will employ a variety of sports specialist teachers to deliver these. The funding will be also be used to improve staff confidence in the delivery of high quality PE lessons across the school. We feel that this is the most effective way for the funding to have a long lasting and positive effect on the future learning and physical development of children within our school. The tables below show how we have spent the allocation that we have received.